The new ST-PLUS Semi-automatic Surface Tensiometer from Tantec, Inc. offers advanced, microprocessor based measurement using either the Wilhelmy Plate or DuNouy Ring Methods
ST-PLUS Semi-automatic Surface Tensiometer
The new ST-PLUS Semi-automatic Surface Tensiometer from Tantec, Inc. offers advanced, microprocessor based measurement using either the Wilhelmy Plate or DuNouy Ring Methods. This instrument can be used for evaluation of liquid surface tension in studying liquid solubility, coating, wetting, bubbling and permeability. The ST-PLUS can be used to study how liquid surfaces behave or to take measurements applicable to QC studies.
The ST-PLUS gives you ease of use and microprocessor based results at an affordable price. By simply raising and lowering the sample with the manual stage, you can get results quickly with no additional calculations. Results are then printed to the thermal printer, which accompanies the unit. Printer will give date, measurement mode, sample number and the results. The results can also be exported to a PC.
The ST-PLUS Semi-automatic Surface Tensiometer features:
- Automated calculation of results to avoid operator error
- Automatic readout and printout of equilibrated surface tension for complete professional documentation and reportingof results
- Several measurement options including both the Wilhelmy Plate and DuNouy Ring Methods
- Ability to measure interfacial surface tension and high viscous material
The Wilhelmy Plate Technique-Advances made over the du Noüy ring Method
While the du Noüy ring method has greater history behind it and lends itself to simpler instrumentation design, the Wilhemy Plate Technique is widely accepted as the superior surface tension measurement method due to:
- The plate used is more stable than the stage of the du Noüy method, where the ring is easily bent and is an added measurement error
- Wilhelmy plate measurement technique allows for variation in time of surface tension to be measured. The du Noüy method does not allow for such time-based surface tension measurements, as it relies on the detachment phenomenon of the liquid from the ring
- Ability to measure high viscosity liquids with little effect on the accuracy, as these type of liquids provide a larger stress to the balance upon detaching the ring from the liquid surface
Standard ST-PLUS Semi-automatic Surface Tensiometer package includes:
Tensiometer, printer, 2 glass lab dishes, 2 platinum plates, calibration weights, tweezers and alcohol burner.
Tantec Inc., 630 Estes Ave., Schaumburg, IL 60193-4403. Tel: 847-524-5506; Fax: 847-524-6956.