In the August 15, 2016 issue of Instrument Business Outlook (IBO), IBO announced the winners of the annual IBO Industrial Design Awards for excellence in the industrial design of analytical instruments, portable analytical instruments and laboratory equipment. The winners of the 2016 Awards demonstrate how industrial design can improve a product’s functionality and the end-user’s experience. The winners are:
Analytical Instrument Industrial Design
- Gold Award: Nanolive’s 3D Cell Explorer tomographic microscope
- Silver Award: SCIEX’s M3 MicroLC system
- Bronze Award: QIAGEN’s GeneReader NGS system
Portable Analytical Instrument Industrial Design
- Gold Award: Sage Analytics’ Luminary Beacon cannabis potency measurement system
- Silver Award: FLIR’s Fido X2 explosives trace detector
- Bronze Award: Atago’s VISCO B-type viscometer
Laboratory Equipment Industrial Design
- Gold Award: Miele Professional’s Flex Series undercounter glassware washers
- Silver Award: Xcell Biosciences’ Avatar cell culture system
- Bronze Award: Sartorius’ arium mini ultra-pure water system
To be eligible for an IBO Industrial Design Award, a product must have begun shipping between August 2015 and July 2016. Award candidates are chosen from the new products that IBO monitors through trade shows, trade publications, press releases and the Internet. Award winners are selected solely based on their industrial design, not on technical capabilities of performance. Criteria include innovation, aesthetics, functionality and utility.
IBO is a 12-page, subscription-based newsletter published twice monthly by Strategic Directions International, Inc. (SDi), a management and market research firm. SDi, a division of BioInformatics LLC, is the world’s leading source of information on the market for analytical and life science instrumentation, and equipment for laboratory and on-site applications. For more information, visit www.strategic-directions.com.